Drafted this on Friday, 4th May in the office
So back to the blood-bank-no blood story.
Doctor tried to arrange for 2 pints of blood transfusion, and the blood bank says there’s no blood. Ah? The best part about being on good terms with the doctor, is you get to use-her-name.
Scenario 1: Say the appointment is at a later time, and the appointment centre says that the doctor is fully booked for an earlier date. Send an email and *poof* we get an appointment for the next day. No hassle at all.
Scenario 2: Say the husband is warded at a C-ward. The norm is a B1-B2. (Bukan nak action lah kan) And the business office says the bed is fully occupied, send an email over. And his doctor will come by. Remembered one time when the doctor came and said, “He is being warded here?! You know his nature and history and cannot be here. I don’t care, find me a bed, I want to move him up, NOW.” Tu lah, aku dah kata, korang taknak dengar. Salah sape yang doctor terjerit, aku? Padan muka.
Back to it, think we tapped on the reserve fund, because the next thing I heard was the doctor saying over the phone, “I don’t care, at least a pint today. My patient is in urgent need.” And she turned to us after hanging up, “I’ll arrange for one today, another tomorrow, ok?” I know, husband’s the most fortunate thing because his doctor pampers him a lot.
And it’s a good thing because the husband is also scared of his doctor. He’s always saying (to me), “No I want to go home today! I don’t care!” or “I don’t want to be warded! I want to go home!” but when his doctor comes and says, “Kamal, we’ll keep you for a few more days just so we’re assured you’ve stabilised” or “We’ll keep you here for a few days ok to do a thorough check ok?” And he gives a weak, sheepish, “Ok doctor….” That with the sweetest smile ever. Dengan doctor, tau takut eh?
So we were at the hospital for a good full day yesterday. Tried to doze off a little here and there. But the husband was unusually chatty. So had to be awake to entertain. Waited for him to be finally asleep, before I tried to get some sleep. As usual, my sleep-position is always by the bedside. Slept for like less than 30mins, before I got woken up by chit-chats. One-pint-blood, successfully transfused into the body.
“Great”, I thought. Now here comes the challenge. Pacifying the ‘boy’ whose body is now adjusting to the new blood. Hope against hope that no sudden repercussions will occur. Slowly the fever started to creep in, followed by the crankiness. By evening time, he was going on and on and about how hot the weather was. No, it wasn’t because of the weather. His body feels cold. The hot is from inside out. Didn’t help that he had a plug set on his dominant hand. Which means dinner was difficult. And when dinner is difficult, the crankiness level goes up a notch.
The very patient me, “never mind, its ok. Everything’s fine. I’ll feed you instead.”
The past week has been tough because trying to pacify a sick cranky ‘boy’ is no joke. And now that transfusion’s been done, it’s going to be a breeze.
Thank God though for granting my prayers. Each time he is sick, I seek for strength, and perhaps a little bit more immunisation against falling sick. At least until he is fine and well, before I succumb. And so now that he is fine and well, I am the sick chicken. I can already see my weekends. They will be spent with me trying to keep myself hydrated at all times, downing pills, having ample rest.
But hey, I’m not complaining… :)
No comments:
Post a Comment